General English classes (16 hours per week) include Cambridge International suite of exams (KET, PET, FCE and CAE) with options to sit exams three times a year (December, March, and June). We also offer IELTS and SELT Trinity GESE exam preparation that is integrated with general English classes to suit the needs of individual students. Student will need to specify the exam preparation class that they wish to attend during their application.
IELTS and SELT preparation courses run for 6 hours per-week, with classes starting every Monday all year round at Sussex Coast College Hastings. We will inform you of the local IELTS test centre once you start the course.
English in Hastings
Sussex Coast College Hastings
Telephone: +44 (0)1424 458567
What is SELT?
SELT exams are a requirement for anyone looking to gain a Visa or citizenship in the UK. Part of the Visa process states that students, who have moved to the UK to study, must successfully complete the exam before enrolling on an educational course at college or university.
There are a number of different requirements for each of the Visa applications. You can read about the requirements and different exams on the Trinity College website.
What is IELTS?
IELTS is the internationally recognised system for assessing English language. The IELTS test covers all four language skills - Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.
Two types of IELTS Tests
- The Academic IELTS test is suitable if you are planning to attend an academic or vocational course at Sussex Coast College Hastings, or if you plan to attend an English-speaking university for an undergraduate or postgraduate course.
- The General Training IELTS test is suitable if you are planning to work in an English-speaking country, if you are planning to attend a UK school or to migrate to an English-speaking country.
The IELTS Score System
- IELTS 7.5+ is roughly equivalent to the Cambridge Proficiency Exam (CPE) and level C2 on the Common European Framework (CEF).
- IELTS 3.0 is the equivalent to a pre-intermediate level of English and level A2 on the CEF.
- If you are aiming to attend an A-Level programme you will be required to have at least an overall Academic IELTS score of 5.5, with at least 5.0 in writing for three A-Level subjects.
Contact for IELTS Testing
Sussex Downs College Eastbourne IELTS Test Centre
Telephone: +44 (0)1323 637298
Opening Times: The IELTS office is open from 9am to 12.30pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. We are closed on Wednesday. Please do not come to the centre outside of these times as you will not be seen.
Telephone: +44 (0)3030039230
Students who require an IELTS exam to apply for a T4 student visa must do the exam at a UKVI secure centre. The centres based in the UK can be found under the IELTS for UKVI Test Providers tab at the following link: http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/locations/united-kingdom