The fees you pay for your course at Sussex Coast College Hastings will depend on the course you are taking and your personal circumstances. Here’s a guide to how course fees are worked out – and how you may be eligible for a fee reduction.

Fees become payable when you first enrol at the College. They are for the current academic year (which runs from 1 August to 31 July), and you’ll need to pay further fees for any study after 31 July.

Course costs may often include registration fees, exam fees, material costs and visits. However, some courses do entail some extra costs for uniform or materials. Where this is the case it is highlighted in the prospectus or at interview.

All additional costs can be discussed in general terms at your interview or at your enrolment.

What price do I pay?

Prices are arranged in Bands, and the price you pay will depend on your circumstances.

Band A:

  • I am aged 16-18
  • I am enrolling for a GCSE Maths/English course
  • I am aged 19-23 and it's my first FULL Level 2 qualification
  • I am aged 19-23 and it's my first FULL Level 3 or 4 qualification
  • I am on JSA or ESA (WRAG)
  • I am on benefits but not JSA or ESA (WRAG)

Band B:

  • I am not in band A or C

Band C:

  • I am 24+ and paying in full or with a 24+ Advanced Learning Loan

If you have not been a permanent resident in the UK/EU for the past three years, Student Services can advise you on whether you are eligible for the above fee structure. If you are not, then you may be classed as an international student, and fees will be considerably higher than home fees (though they’ll still be competitive compared to other colleges).

Reduced fees (Band C)

You may be eligible to pay a reduced fee if you receive either Job Seekers Allowance (means tested) or Employment Support Allowance
(in the Work Related Activity Group).
There are some part-time courses which are not eligible for reduced tuition fees. These include unsubsidised (full-cost) leisure courses and Higher Education courses (the latter may have funding support via Student Finance Direct).

To claim the reduced fee, where available, you must bring or send in an official award letter or notice of benefit, together with your enrolment form.
The letter or notice of benefit must be dated within six months of the first day of the course you are applying for. This must be produced at enrolment. If it is not available at this time, you will be required to pay the fee in full.

Student Services can give you forms to complete which can be stamped by the relevant benefits office.
If you have not been a permanent resident in the UK / EU for the last three years, please contact Student Services on 01424 458467.

To claim a reduced fee you must provide appropriate documentary evidence, such as your most recent award letter, that shows the type of benefit you will be receiving at the start of your course. You may be asked to contact the relevant benefit office for more evidence: generally we are required to see letters that are dated within six months of the date your course begins.

For Job Seeker’s Allowance and Employment Support Allowance, Student Services can provide you with forms that simply need completing and stamping by the benefits office to assist with this.

Spreading the cost

If your course costs more than £200 and runs for longer than one term (usually 15 or more weeks) you can spread the cost across three payments after paying a deposit. Deposits are required at enrolment with the completed and signed enrolment form, together with a valid fee payment form (which we provide for you).

For courses that cost less than £400 the minimum deposit is £100, and for courses that cost £400 or more, the minimum deposit is 25% of the total fees payable.

If you are claiming for fee remission at enrolment, then, as long as the balance is more than £200, payments can be split. Evidence that you qualify for the fee waiver must be produced at enrolment. If evidence is not available at this time, unless you can pay the fee in full, enrolment will not be allowed. Should you find yourself in this situation, Student Services staff can give guidance on how to move forward.

There are some part-time courses that do not attract remission from tuition fees. This includes all Higher Education courses, which have possible funding support via Student Finance Direct.

If you are in hardship and need assistance with other course costs (i.e. not including fees and exam/registration), travel, kit or childcare, you may be able to get help through the College's Learner Support Fund (please note that this excludes Higher Education courses and full-cost courses, and that international students and asylum seekers will not qualify). Forms for applying are usually published in late July/early August, and as the available fund is limited, we advise applying early. Please note that monies are paid out, when awarded, from October, so you may need to make payments before you know funding is available to help you.

If you are aged 19-23, you may be eligible for free tuition at levels 1, 2 and 3. Have a look at our section on fee reduction to find out whether this could apply to you.

E-News Signup